Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Poem #1

So I'm currently taking an English Literature class, and we're now learning about poetry. What's kinda silly about the class is that we take poems (some of them being absurdly simple) and attempt to interpret hidden meanings. It's really just a waste of time. Anyways, since it seems like anyone can be a poet (because it's so bloody subjective), i have decided to take a crack at writing poetry. So here's one for you all to read. Now after you read it, i want you to leave a comment with your analysis of the poem. What's the meaning? What's the theme? The tone? Go a head, pick it apart.


-----------------

"The Darkness of Day"
By Mark Christensen


I stand in a large field in Nebraska,
Mid-afternoon, it is, the Sun's left its height!
The smell of copper-rain in tide,
It mimics my mood, a duel inside,

The sky--Growing dark, a grim gradient of rays
And Thunderclouds rise in the sky to my right.
I don't know, but I think, if it's the darkest of days,
What more would it be but the brightest of night?

I'm wrong. It is what it is, it does what it does
I think what i think, and that's not just because
It's all just a field, a dark storm on my right
It's not just a day that's dressed up as the night.

I cannot tell if it's coming or going, the storm
And the sky, and I'm in between.
There may be no use, but i wish i was knowing
(As the grass in the field is a half-shade of green.)

Which way the storm-towing wind blows?
"Bring it on or take it away!" I say, to that--on my right
Everything dies, and on my left, everything grows
In the darkness of day or the brightness of night.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Good Poem, sorry I never was good at looking for meanings in poetry. I just like the cadence!