Friday, October 24, 2008

Proposition 8????

So by now i think everyone knows that i oppose proposition 8. Some of you have asked me what my reasons are, some of you didn't ask and i told you anyway, and some of you don't care. Truth is, i have many reasons. However, i believe it's probably not the best idea to get "up in everyones faces" about it because i don't want to make it seem like i want to change peoples mind's. Plus, y'all get so darn passionate about it, it's difficult to hold a civil conversation.

Truthfully, the issue doesn't really affect me, that's i don't get very "worked up" about it like people on both sides do. However, i have been forced to give the issue much thought due to the fact that most of my family support the proposition.

In conversation, due to my poor verbal skills, i am unable to adequately present to you the reasons why i oppose the proposition. I am tempted to write a research paper concerning the issue, and I've found a lot of good sources that i could use in it. Unfortunately, i am swamped with school at the moment, so i am unable to devote the time that would be needed to sufficiently state my case. If i write on the issue, i would make sure it is in-depth, covers both sides of the argument adequately, provides arguments that are free from fallacies, and provides valid evidence to support my conclusion.

I won't be able to write this paper by the election, but i may have time to write it over Christmas break. By then, the issue won't be as topical, and it would be released at a time when the issue isn't as "hot headed," so to speak, which would increase the chances of people actually reading the paper the whole way through. Also, if the paper is released after the election, this would prove that the purpose of the paper would not be to influence people's votes, rather, it would be to inform. And that's all i really want to do, inform people, explain the reasoning behind my opposition.

-Mark

2 comments:

Becky said...

I didn't know you felt that way. It will be interesting to know your reasoning.

andthenthereweretwo said...

I dont think the issue will ever die down unfortunately